This easy one pot fiesta hash brown skillet is perfect for your next dinner, and it takes under 30 minutes to make!
These days I feel like I don’t even have the time to breathe, let alone spend a few hours making dinner (and washing the dishes that come with it). One pot meals have become a staple in my house, and I love coming up with fresh new dinner recipes that are low on mess but high on flavor. Shaving off time with quick fixes and simple meals is a must for my own sanity, and out of that need comes this amazing Fiesta Hash Brown Skillet. Yum!
I am a sucker for anything Mexican flavored, and I love adding salsa or taco seasoning to jus about anything and turning it into a Southwestern dream! For this recipe, I wanted to keep it simple so I kicked up the flavor by using salsa and a few tablespoons of chopped green chilies. Yes, you can go crazy with seasonings and flavor add-ins, but a little salsa is really all you need to kick up the flavor! For my add-ins, I stuck with my normal bell peppers, onions, and corn, and they added a nice sweetness to my dish that balanced it all out.
I don’t normally use hash browns in anything but breakfast, but since I was feeling creative with this recipe, I decided to try and make a dinner with them. Guess what? It was a great idea! With this being an easy meal, there was no way I was peeling and shredding potatoes myself, so I grabbed a bag of shredded potatoes in the freezer section and cut out a whole 15 minutes of work.
I love everything about this meal, and my favorite part is that it is so easily customizable. You can add sausage, ground beef, chicken, different vegetables, toppings, and so much more! I made a version with meatless crumbles and a green salsa last week, and it was amazing. This recipe makes enough for 2 people, but you can easily double it for a family meal. It is good enough to eat without toppings, but I like to put on a little cilantro, jalapeños, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Here is a full recipe video, and below is a printable version plus a giveaway for some free products. Happy making!
- 2 cups shredded hash browns
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/3 cup diced red peppers
- 1/3 cup diced green peppers
- 1/3 cup whole kernel corn
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped green chilies
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Mexican cheese, divided in half
- 1-2 tsp cumin
- First cook your peppers over medium-high heat with a little oil, until they start to soften up.
- Add your hash browns, salsa, and green chilies. Stir, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in 1/2 cup of cheese and heavy cream, cook covered for 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Uncover, top with remaining cheese and cumin, cover, and cook a final 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with cilantro, jalapeños, lime juice, and anything else you prefer.