I am going to admit that I’ve never really been a fan of casseroles. It’s one of those things that I grew up not liking, so as an adult I was a little reluctant. I went down this same road with sweet potatoes, and you know how much I adore them! A few years ago I thought they were limited to the same old generic stuff that I had as a kid, but guess what? The world of casseroles is vast and flavorful! Seriously, I LOVE creating them for my family these days and they are super easy to whip up, pop in the oven and bake. One of my favorites lately combines sweet potatoes and southwestern flavors for a rich and delicious enchilada casserole that is out of this world.
This casserole takes around ten minutes to prepare, thirty minutes to cook and serves six. Here’s what you need:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cans enchilada sauce
- Mexican blend shredded cheese
- tomato (topping)
- avocado (topping)
- cilantro (topping)
Before you begin go ahead and preheat your oven to 350 degrees and cube your sweet potatoes. Now grab a shallow nonstick baking dish (I use a pie dish), add in your sweet potatoes and 2 tablespoons of water so that they don’t dry out and bake for around 10 minutes until they *start* to get soft. While they are cooking, go ahead and mix up your beans, corn and one can of enchilada sauce. Once your sweet potatoes have started to soften, add them to your bean and corn mixture.
Next, line the bottom of your casserole dish with a layer of tortillas and pour half of your mixture on top followed by cheese. Cover with more tortillas and then the rest of the mixture. Pour half a can of enchilada sauce over the top and then cover again with cheese to your preference. Bake covered for 20 minutes and take out when your cheese is evenly melted and your edges are a little crispy.
Cover with cilantro, diced tomatoes and avocado. You can add other toppings like onions, more cheese, or anything else but these are just my personal favorite. Doesn’t this look delicious!
Serve immediately. Yum!
Want to get some other great casserole inspiration? Check out my fellow 12 bloggers and their amazing casserole recipes too!
- Chicken and Broccoli Casserole by Big Bear’s Wife
- Cheesy Sausage and Roasted Vegetable Casserole by Betsy Life
- Mexican Lasagna by Home Cooking Memories
- Lemon Orzo Shrimp Bake by Cooking on the Front Burners
- King Ranch Casserole by Love Bakes Good Cakes
- Sweet Potato Enchilada Casserole by A Million Moments
- Bacon, Beef & Bean Casserole by Bread Booze Bacon
- Green Chicken Enchilada Casserole by A Night Owl
- Chili Bean Casserole by Pink Cake Plate
- Mom’s Enchilada Casserole by I Love My Disorganized Life
- Breakfast Casserole (Egg & Veggies) by See Vanessa Craft
- Slow Cooker French Toast Casserole by Around My Family Table
[…] Sweet Potato Enchilada Casserole by A Million Moments […]